Honey with toast…Yum…Indeed a perfect start to a day!
For some, the thought of honey may conjure up memories of the beloved bear Pooh, always in pursuit of the ever elusive honey pot. Greek mythology tells the tale in which the life of Zeus is saved by bees feeding him honey. So, I guess it comes as no surprise that honey does in fact include many healing and medicinal properties.
Yes, the sweet goodness of Mother Earth’s natural energy booster is not only an indispensable ingredient in many households, but it’s also renowned for its great taste and beautiful, liquid-gold looks.
To name just a few of the many good qualities honey possesses, here’s my spotlight on honey!
The various vitamins and iron found in honey strengthens the immune system and white blood cells, which aid in fighting bacterial and viral diseases. The antioxidant polyphenol protects the cells against free radical damage. Two to three spoonfuls a day of the rich taste is all you need.
Cough and throat irritations
Honey is an effective cough suppressant. Research studies have found that just two spoonfuls of the sweet goodness help reduce nighttime coughing in children aged 2 and older with upper respiratory tract infections.
Honey is not only a natural source of carbohydrates, which strengthens our bodies, but it also contains equal parts glucose and fructose, which fuels energy levels and increases performance and endurance. Try honey as a pre-workout snack. Add it to your protein shake to give you an extra boost.
Interesting and fun facts about honey
- Honey applied to a mosquito bite reduces the itch and irritation
- Honey is a Hebrew word which means “Enchant”
- Honey cures hangovers – just two spoonfuls of it will cause faster combustion of alcohol
- Honey never spoils
- Honey heals wounds and burns – a small amount applied to the wound speeds up the healing process
- Honey is the only food that contains all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water
- Honey contains anti-inflammatory properties
[lightbox_btn type=”iframe” title=”Enter Competition” link=”https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/honeyquiz?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%” color=”orange”]Enter Competition Now![/lightbox_btn]